Bipolar, Suicidal – How To Overcome


Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 22:39:44 -0500
From: “Truehope Nutritional Support Ltd.” <>
Subject: Sarah’s Story – Truehope Common Ground Online – December, 3, 2009

Welcome to another edition of Common Ground Online. Here’s what’s in this week’s edition:

Sarah’s Story

“I’m the youngest of three, with two older brothers. I don’t remember much of my youth but I do recall my mother’s breakdowns­sobbing in a heap on the floor. It was very sad for us to see her like that, and I didn’t understand what was going on. One day we woke up and found that she had overdosed on pills and had left us behind. That’s where my story really begins.

“It was June of 1967. No one understood why our mother took her own life. She was young, beautiful, living the American dream in the sixties­a big house in the suburbs, 3 kids, a doctor husband, a dog and a nice car. But, to this day, no one will discuss it with us, including our own father. What followed her death, for me and my brothers, were years of being kept in dark, years of mystery and years of pain. We were not allowed to grieve; we were not allowed to discuss what happened with anyone, not even each other. It was kept quiet and I myself didn’t know she had committed suicide until I put the puzzle pieces together when I was about 13 years old. I didn’t realize what mental torture she suffered until I found myself in her shoes much later in my life.

“Our devastated father wasn’t able to raise us so we found our own way, and made every mistake in the book­including drug use, running away from home, run-ins with the law, you name it. Somehow I managed to make it through high school and actually graduated, but my brothers both dropped out. I was barely functioning and deeply depressed and by the time I reached my teens I was abusing every drug I could get my hands on, latching on to acquaintances, friends and boyfriends for love and support. I broke windows out in anger and lashed out at my father who had lost all control of me. In my twenties I completely stopped using drugs but switched to alcohol and cigarettes; I was lucky I never became physically addicted. I became involved with someone that was even less stable than I was, and we married and had our first child, a girl. Struggling with post-partum depression, I started cutting myself when the baby was young and had a difficult time coping with it all, yet I was the breadwinner and tried to hold myself together to be a good mother to our child. After a suicidal episode where I had locked myself in my bedroom with a gun, I tried to pull myself together and managed to do so for a good while. But the marriage was a disaster and ended very badly. It was extremely stressful. Somehow I made it through a terrible divorce, requiring years of restraining orders against my ex-husband.

“At 30 years old, I moved away with our daughter and started a relationship with someone new in another state. Things were very good for the three of us, and we had a daughter together three years later. We built a house and were planning on having another child but something was wrong with me­it started with another round of post-partum depression after my second daughter was born. I was falling deeper and deeper into such a severe depression that I couldn’t make my way out of it. I put our youngest daughter (then 2 ½) in preschool and stayed home all day, sleeping. I hid my depression from everyone. The depression eventually became cyclical with bouts of hypomanic behavior. I began spending money out of control, destroying our marriage, and having fits of anger that scared everyone in the house. I broke things, I screamed, and I fell to my knees and fell to pieces. My appetite was gone and I washed down to 85 pounds. I just got wor se and worse and I began hurting myself­punching things (furniture), driving recklessly (totaling our car), behaving promiscuously and cheating on my husband.

“I finally got to the point where I was cycling between depression and mania in the same day sometimes. I went to see a therapist and a psychiatrist who diagnosed me as bipolar. I was prescribed anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, tranquilizers and sleep medications.  I was a walking pillbox. This went on for years but I was still in a deep depression­they changed my medication cocktail and switched things around, tried different meds, but nothing worked. After a stay in the psych ward and no luck with any of the meds, I gave them up. I stuck with a doctor that would prescribe me Klonopin and Ambien. It was all downhill from there; I had gotten involved in a very sick co-dependent relationship outside of my marriage, with someone that was cruel and verbally abusive, and encouraged my already deep self-hatred. In February of 2003 I took a full bottle of Ambien and a full bottle of Klonopin. Somehow during the stupor I was falling into, I call ed a couple of people and told them what I had done. I wasn’t unconscious but would be soon. One of these friends rushed over and took me to the hospital. After stabilizing me in the hospital, they sent me to the psych ward again, for a week.

“Once again, I was back to the cocktails of medications; for nearly two years I attempted to pull my life together on the meds. I struggled to be a good parent and repair the damage I had done to my marriage and to my children, and to regain their trust. But I remained deeply depressed and deeply ill. Some of the worst characteristics of my illness were obsessive cyclical thinking, and self-loathing, which the meds did nothing for. The medications were so strong, though, that I lost all sense of myself. I had no interest and no emotions, except a deep and excruciating pain in my center that wouldn’t cease. It always felt like a hole in my middle­always empty but filled with pain. I tried to work but barely functioned; I couldn’t think straight.

“Desperate to find relief, I searched the internet for solutions and alternatives. In late fall of 2004, I discovered Truehope and decided to give the program a try. I told myself I’d give it three months to see if it would really work. I filled out the daily self evaluation forms online, I spoke to support twice a week, and reduced the dosage of my medications gradually. I took the supplements like clockwork, in the recommended amount. Within TWO WEEKS my symptoms began to gradually disappear­I was stabilizing!! I started to feel human again. It took 8 months to get off of all my medications completely. Now, after more than 3 years on EMPowerplus I’m stable­I’m a functioning human being, I have regained my husband’s trust and respect, I have a professional position with a good company and a decent salary, and I’m paying off all the debt I accumulated when I was ill. Most importantly, I am a good mother to my c hildren. I have worked hard and regained their trust and faith and they count on me. My husband has his wife back; my children have their mom back.

“Through all these years, I have had it in me to be successful, to rise above the tragedies of my youth, to be a happy person, to be a good mom and have a healthy marital relationship. EMPowerplus has enabled me to finally realize the person I am, the one I had the potential to be all my life. I lived through what my mother couldn’t make it through­she died at 38 and I’m now 48. I never believed I would live longer than she had.

“In closing, I wanted to share that my oldest daughter was diagnosed as bipolar after she left for college. She has been on EMPowerplus for a while too, but hasn’t taken it regularly until the past few months. She is finally taking it regularly and is dedicated to her wellness so that she can finish her degree and also be free of depression and mental anguish. Today she’s doing very well and is another success story!!

“Bipolar illness has run in my family now for three generations. EMPowerplus wasn’t available to my mother in the sixties, but I know she’d be happy to see that her daughter and her granddaughter have found a solution to this disease and are living well and have productive lives.

“Life is good! Each day I’m thankful to feel the sun on my face, to feel the warm embrace of my children and my loving husband, and I am so grateful to Truehope for making this possible for me. Thank you so much Truehope for your wonderful product and for your great support. You really saved my life.”

-Sarah C. (Name has been changed.)


Possible Holiday Delays in UPS Orders

Just a friendly reminder as the Christmas holiday season approaches: You may want to place your orders early, before the Christmas rush, as there may be delays with UPS shipments due to the volume they typically experience around this time. For example, some places in Canada may take up to 14 days to receive a delivery.


Common Ground Email Archives

Have you missed an edition of Common Ground Online? Are you new to the Truehope Program? Visit our email archive page for a directory of all previous Common Ground newsletters. These emails are loaded with useful information that can help you succeed on EMPowerplus and the Truehope Program.


Any Questions or Comments?

Help us to serve you better. Send your questions or comments about the Truehope Program, EMPowerplus, or our support resources to or call 1-888-878-3467 to speak to a Truehope Support Specialist.

We want to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date program information so that you can continue to make informed decisions regarding your health. Our hope is that you will find hope, healing, and health through education and continued support.

Yours in health,

The Truehope Staff


Having problems viewing this email? Try the web version.

Contact Us

Phone: 1-888-TRUEHOPE





Hours of Operation

8:00 am to 6:00 pm (MST)

Monday – Friday

Did You Know?

Our support team can call you to answer questions and to discuss your progress on the Truehope Program? To request this service, please talk to one of our support team members.

You are always free to call us during regular business hours for any questions or concerns you may have.

© Copyright 2009

Truehope Nutritional Support Ltd.

Leave a Reply